Moral intelligence is the capacity to understand right from wrong. A conscious choice that we make during the course of our lives umpteen times. It means to have strong ethical convictions and to act on them in manner that is just, right and honourable. Raising charitable, compassionate and emotionally intelligent children should be a top priority. We should be unflinchingly consistent in enforcing these basic rules.
THE SEVEN ESSENTIAL VIRTUES OF MORAL INTELLIGENCE THAT TEACH THE FUNDAMENTALS OF HUMAN DECENCY:
- EMPATHY: Taking note of and identifying with other people’s concern.
- CONSCIENCE: knowing the right and decent way to act and behave in that way.
- SELF CONTROL: Regulating your thoughts and actions in a way that you stop any pressures from within or outside that prompt us to behave in a way that we feel is not right.
- RESPECT: Treating others in a considerate and courteous manner shows the fact that we value others.
- KINDNESS: Exhibiting concern about the welfare and feeling of others.
- TOLERANCE: Respecting the dignity and rights of all people, even the ones whose beliefs and behaviours are we may differ with.
- FAIRNESS: Opting to be open-minded and to act in a just and fair manner.
Credit – Mrs Deepti Ahlawat (Primary Teacher at Kunskapsskolan Gurgaon)