The KED program challenges students to stretch their boundaries and construct a solid foundation of knowledge and skills. All subjects in Kunskapsskolan are organized in steps and themes. Subjects such as Math and languages need to be learnt sequentially and are organized in steps while science, humanities, art and computers are integrated theme courses.
- Subjects that require skills training are learned sequentially in steps.
- Each student progresses through the steps at their own pace.
- Students can join the step course at a starting point corresponding to what they already know.
- Subjects to be studied as steps are mathematics and languages.
The student progresses through the steps at her/his own pace, regardless of the year/grade he or she is in. Students who are fast learners in a particular subject advance quicker through the stairway of a step course. Students who need more time can receive additional support in order to thoroughly understand the concepts before they proceed to the next learning level.
The curriculum of each class is organized into ten steps. The steps are further organized in blocks. Each new block adds a level of complexity and has clear goals to be achieved by the student. At the end of each block each student has to do a project step. In the project step student applies his or her learning included in a block and is tested on it. The project step has to be presented to and approved by the teacher before the student can proceed to the next block of steps.
- A theme teaches the students how subjects are related in the real world, by integrating them in the same course.
- Different subjects illuminate different perspectives of the theme and visualize the importance and connections of the parts of the world around them.
Each course establishes the learning theme and clarifies how the occurrences of a phenomenon are interconnected, often by integrating several subjects. We emphasize the connections between humanities, natural science and the arts.
Considering the importance of knowledge integration in the real world, we encourage our students to understand the themes of the world through a holistic approach. The objective is to train students to widen their perspectives, identify contexts and see patterns and thereby gain a deeper understanding.